2 Blondes and a Ginger

2 Blondes and a Ginger

Sunday, September 6, 2009

I Can't Get No Satisfaction

I can remember opening Spurgeon's daily devotional to the date I was going to leave for France months down the road. There was something exciting about reading the devotional months ahead of time, knowing on that day I would embark on a great adventure. I remember last year looking at expiration dates on foods and getting really excited at the thought that I should have a baby by the time. I love the way that our dog, Steve, eagerly awaits our arrival at the back door and how Graham's face lights up and his arms flail when Daddy gets home from work. It's all about anticipation. Anticipation of something great. Anticipation that keeps us moving, keeps us breathing, keeps us hopeful.

I realized today that I often don't anticipate the things that I should. Sure it is wonderful to anticipate a great trip, a baby, or being with the ones you love, but there is something more that we should anticipate. How often do we honestly anticipate the coming of our Lord? Is it not in the forefronts of our minds? We anticipate so many wonderful things in life, but we seldom anticipate THE MOST wonderful thing in life. As Pastor Lee said today, "we are far too easily pleased." Pleased over that cup of Starbucks, the new outfit, or even something as grand as a marriage or a baby. As incredible a these things can be, the do not offer complete fulfilment. As Pastor Lee spoke, my mind went to Derek Webb's song, "The Wedding Dress." Webb sings, "I am so easily satisfied by the call of lovers less wild." When I was at Covenant, I visited Lula Lake land trust several times. One of the elders in my church told me about the place and advised me to keep walking after seeing the first waterfall. For years and years he had gone to the land trust and stopped his hike at the first waterfall. The first waterfall is beautiful and worth the short trip, but if you continue a few more minutes down the trail, your eyes fall on a tall, glorious waterfall. It makes the first waterfall appear as a rapid. Mr. Henegar had been satisfied with the small waterfall which was only a taste of what lay a few hundred feet away.
I don't want to be too easily satisfied by the things of this earth. I want to anticipate heaven like our dog anticipates our return home and like Graham anticipates an embrace and being thrown up in the air a million times by his Daddy. Above all else, I want to anticipate eternal communion with my Heavenly Father.

1 comment:

natalie vaughan said...

AMEN!!