2 Blondes and a Ginger

2 Blondes and a Ginger

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Shower the People You Love with Love

It's not too often that there's a baby shower with no momma and no baby, but I had the privilege of not attending my own baby shower a couple of weeks ago. The day before my shower, my blood pressure shot up and the Dr put me on bed rest for the weekend. Of course it had to be the one weekend that I had been looking forward to for months, but what are you going to do? I think taking care of myself and this baby is a little more important. I lived 3 1/2 hours away from where the shower was being held, so there was no chance of me attending when I was restricted to bed rest. Everything had already been purchased from the food to the decorations, and there was really no other option than to go on with the party. I can imagine it must have been a little strange when the guests first arrived because many of them didn't know that I wasn't attending. "Oh, welcome to our house. By the way, did you know the guest of honor isn't going to be here?" My mom had the idea of using web cams and skype so I could still be a part of the shower even though I was miles away. It was a great idea, but unfortunately the web cams weren't working correctly and our hopes of a high-tech shower failed. That's okay because if you've ever used a web cam, you know how completely flattering they are, and I just wouldn't want anyone to feel bad about themselves while staring at me on the computer! Everyone I know had a great time. The decorations were adorable, the food was delicious, and the company was great. After the shower, my mom and dad loaded up the car and came to visit me. We had our own mini shower in our living room. It was like 3 years of Christmases all crammed into one day! The presents covered the entire room. I am so thankful for all of the gifts that will help us clothe, feed, bathe, and just make little Graham look cute. Not that giving gifts mean you love someone, but it is just one way that people often show they care. James Taylor sings, "Shower the people you love with love." I felt showered with love by those who gave the shower, by those who attended the shower, and by all the gifts that will come to great use when Graham arrives. I'm going to try to make it a point to attend showers that are given for me in the future.....but even if they don't work out as planned, they can still be a success!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'll say it again, wonderful writing. :)