2 Blondes and a Ginger

2 Blondes and a Ginger

Monday, January 3, 2011

Dear Lucy

Dear Lucy,
The night before I met you, I didn't sleep much. All the anticipation of what was to come the next day on top of the sleeplessness that already accompanies pregnancy didn't make for a good combination. Plus I had to be at the hospital early for a 7:30 c-section. I put on a dress and leggins, threw on a pair of Converses, and had your Daddy take one last pregnancy photo. It was chilly, but not too cold. Or maybe it was just all the adrenaline that kept me warm. It was dark outside when we got to the hospital. Nurses came to get me ready for surgery. They asked questions. I tried to answer them. Meanwhile I was dying to meet you. Nattie and Papa brought Graham to see me before they took me back to the OR. Your daddy and I prayed. Then it was time. I was shaking when we got to the operating room. Teeth Chattering. It was cold. But I was also so nervous. You were going to be born 4 weeks early, and I was well aware that you could potentially spend some time in the NICU. But I was also hopeful. It seemed to take forever. It did actually take a little longer than anticipated. But finally, finally I heard your cry. Your Daddy commented on how much hair you had. Then, I finally got my first glimpse of you as the doctor held you in his hands. I cried. After you got cleaned up, your Daddy brought you to me for a quick kiss. And that evening I held you for the first time. It was a sweet day. One I won't forget. The day I got to meet you, my daughter, who I already loved.

Love,
Your Momma

No comments: